[Honeywall] Problems with sebek on windows

Ole Morten Grodås grodaas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:02:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have been trying to install Sebek on a some versions of Windows put have
been unable to get system up and running properly. I tried accesing
https://bugs.honeynet.org to look for bug reports put was unable to connect
to the server.

My install prosecure have basically been:

1. Install OS
2 If vmware install vmware tools
3. Install sebek 3.04 with default settings
4. Configure sebek with default setting (only change mac and ip of
recipient)
5. Reboot OS.

I have tried installing sebek on both physical computers and vmware
guests.When sebek 3.04 failed to work I also tried version 3.03.

The operating systems I have tried so fare:

Windows 2000 Advanced server (no service packs)
After installing sebek 3.04 the boot process takes much longer than before
and while "initializing network setting" i often get a windows error message
in a pop up box saying that that a service has failed to start. After a long
period of time I would still get the login screen. After logging in I would
normally get a blue screen within 10 seconds. The blue screen error message
is something like "IRQ NOT EQUAL OR LESS THAN". I suspected that there was a
problem with the network driver and have tested two different psychical
network cards in addition to the vmware driver. But both attempts where
unsuccessfully.

I have also tried installing sebek 3.0.3, I experienced basically the same
problem as i experienced with 3.04, but when testing one of the
physical network
cards the windows machine was actually working close to normal. But I'm a
bit sceptical about to the stability of the system.

Windows 2003 standard edition(no service packs)
After installing sebek 3.0.[3,4] I get a bluescreen about 5-10 seconds into
the boot process.

I noted that on the sebek front page the following is stated:
Win32 Client 3.0.3 <http://www.savidtech.com/sebek/>. Sebek client for the
Win32 platform, in both src and binary format. This version supports Windows
2000 (All Service packs), Windows XP (All Service packs), and Windows 2003
(All service packs).

After my initial problems I have some question regarding the status of
sebek, What is the current development status?, Are there a list of
"supported" operating systems, and witch operating system is tested before a
release of sebek?

I hope the questions are not regarded as rude critics, It really is meant to
be constructive critics and I hope the problems I found will be addressed so
other might have a better initial experience with the honeynet procject.

And last, but not least I would like to thank you all for the all the great
work you have put into the honeynet procject.

Regards,
Ole