[Honeywall] Can I run honeywall as a virtual machine on Windows?

Devin A. Rychetnik drychetnik at msn.com
Wed Jun 24 00:45:13 EDT 2009

Hello All,

I am just starting to set up my first honeynet and have a few questions. I'd like to run my honeynet virtually and if possible, use Windows as the host machine. I prefer to use Virtual PC or Hyper-V on the virtualization host since I have them available to me already and would have to pay for a new license if I have to use VMWare. So my questions to others is, can I run the honeywall (Roo 1.4) as a virtual machine on my host machine or does it have to be the host machine itself in order to work? Also, if I can run it as a virtual machine, does anyone know whether it will work with either Virtual PC or Hyper-V?

I just tried to create a Virtual PC machine using the iso here (https://projects.honeynet.org/honeywall/attachment/wiki/WikiStart/roo-1.4.hw-20090425114542.iso) but it stalls just after the screen that shows the Honeywall project logo and while it is loading the devices. The only error I can see is "powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects". Anyone know what the problem could be?

-Devin