[Honeywall] Honeywall - Snort Rules Update Problem

Vincent Ragosta vrr6 at pitt.edu
Sat Mar 13 18:53:25 EST 2010

It appears as if the option to update the Snort rules is not working
correctly from within the Honeywall web management interface.  After I
click "Update Rules Now", I perform a tail on /var/log/hwruleupdate and
receive the following response:
/
Downloading file from
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/rules/snortrules-snapshot-2.6.tar.gz...
/usr/bin/oinkmaster.pl: Error: could not download from
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/rules/snortrules-snapshot-2.6.tar.gz.
Output from wget follows:

 http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/rules/snortrules-snapshot-2.6.tar.gzResolving
www.snort.org... 68.177.102.20
Connecting to www.snort.org|68.177.102.20|:80... connected.
18:39:30 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Oink, oink. Exiting.../

If I manually enter this link into firefox and replace the
snortrules-snapshot-2.6.tar.gz with snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz, it
initiates a file transfer.  Thus, what can I do to correct this in the
honeywall?  Can I safely update the url parameter to download the 2.8
rule set instead?  If so, where is this configuration information held?
Or do I need to ugrade Snort first?

Thanks.

Vincent